This year smartphone screens are getting bigger and their body is getting smaller.So what happens when you put a bigger screen on Samsung’s Galaxy S7 edge,you get the amazingly beautiful Galaxy S8. 2017 is going to be a year of bezel less smartphones be it LG G6, Xiaomi MI Mix or the latest Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 plus .Xiaomi with its MI MIX showed the world an almost edge to edge display concept,Samsung on the other hand made that concept a reality with its Galaxy S8 and S8 plus that come with an edge to edge display or as samsung calls it the infinity display.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Top Features:-
- Body:- The S8 and S8 plus come in brushed aluminium frame surrounded by Gorilla glass 5 from front as well as the back.The smartphone is IPS68 certified water and dust resistant .Comes in a variety of colours orchid grey,black sky,maple gold and coral blue.
- Display:- The S8 comes with a 5.8 inch Super AMOLED screen 2960×1440 px resolution and a rather odd aspect ratio of 18.5:9.
- Camera:- A 12 MP f/1.7 aperture dual pixel phase detection autofocus rear camera and a 8MP f/1.7 aperture front camera.
- OS:-Android 7.0 Nougat with BIXBY as the artificial assistant.
- Chipset:- Snapdragon 835 octa core cpu Adreno 540 Gpu / Exynos 8855 octacore Cpu along with Mali G-71 Gpu.
- Storage:-4GB RAM and 64 GB storage along with Micro SD card support upto 256 GB.
- Battery:- A 3000 Mah LoPo sealed Quick charge 2.0
- Connectivity:-Single/Dual sim varients VOLTE, USB type C, Bluetooth 5.0,GPS,3.5 mm audio jack,NFC,Fingerprint,IRIS scanner etc.
- No stereo speakers
- Fingerprint Scanner is oddly placed
- not the best screen ratio
- slippery in the hand
The box of the S8 is similar to that of its predecessor Galaxy S7 not much of a change there.Inside the box you will find
- The S8 itself covered in plastic wrap
- bundled Fast charger with USB Type C cable
- A micro USB to USB Type C converter
- AKG branded a set of earphones
- Wireless Charger (Only if you advance book it through Flipkart)
The best part of the Galaxy S8 is its infinity display its a 5.8 inch dual curved Super Amoled of 2960×144 pixels with an aspect ratio of 18.5:9.Sure its a weird one and there is very less content available on the internet in this aspect ratio but never the less Samsung showed us all why is it the king when it comes to display,the dual curves on the phone make it appear slimmer and easy to hold though there is not much funcationality of the edge screen but it sure makes the S8 stand appart from its competition.The Display of the S8 is a delight to look at and takes media streaming n the device to a whole new level .Due to the enormous display the home/fingerprint scanner had to be relocated at the back,but that is a more welcome change as the user can now finally switch its recent and back buttons according to their prefrences as they are now on screen buttons.(We are not complaining)
Though the S8 packs a larger display and a weird one at that we fail to understand why didnt they increase the battery size but are still using the same battery as the S7 edge had ie 3000 MaH.
When tested the S8’s battery lasted almost 10 hrs we did a casual use of the smartphone by listening to music,surfing on the interned,watching a few videos,taking pictures etc and it easily lasted a whole working day with around 25% remaining by the time we were done with it.So it is safe to say that it lasted a little more than the S7 .
USER-INTERFACE :- Android 7.0 with Samsung UX
Do you guys remember the Note 7 ,ya that one that caused samsung a lot of money and damage in their goodwill.Although we all loved the Note 7 sadly it just couldnt remain in our hands.Samsung has played all its cards right this time and has put the same Samsung UX interface of the Note 7 in its S8.The UI is light very unlike samsung’s previous flagships and Android 7.0 even makes the experience of using the phone better.There are a bunch of customization options like you can customize the always on display with a bunch of analog/digital clocks to choose from.The UI is simole there is no apps button you just swipe up for the menu just like the pixel lineup.if you swipe left on the home screen it takes you to Bixby Samsungs AI.
Overall the UI is simple and beautiful it is smooth dose nit have any lags and makes your flagship experience even better.Samsung Managed to do all the things right this time.
What happens when you take the best tech available in the world and put it all together in one smartphone you get the S8.Caling it a beast at performance would be an understatment.Snapdragon 835 along with Adreno 540 Gpu make the ultimate tag team and could take any task you throw at them.Espically playing High Graphic games on the S8 is a must it brings out the best of Samsung Galaxy S8 the 4GB of ram takes all tasks head on and completes them without breaking a sweat though if you do intense gaming for a long duration of time the smartphone heats up a little bit but its not a problem you never notice any lags in its performance.
When the world is going towards dual camera setup Samsung still goes with its tried and tested 12MP camera of the S7 sits on the S8 aswell with a minor improvements nothing major.It is not the best out there but it is pretty good the images are crisp and as its samsungs display the colours are oversatuarated but that makes the image appear more colourfull.The front camera has received an upgrade now the S8 has a 8MP front camera which is also wide-angle foe group selfies.Both the cameras support 4k recording and the rear also comes with slow-motion recording.
Bixby is smasung’s personal Assistant just like google’s AI and Apple’s Siri.The main moto behind samsung’s concept of bixby is everything that you touch to do you should be able to give voice commands for the same.With Bixby you can also mix and match types of inputs.Bixby will use clues to come to conclusions what you want with it.foe Eg:-if you ask Bixby To call tony and you have more than one Tony on your contact list Bixby will ask you which one,isnt that cool.Samsung is so confident with Bixby that it gave bixby its own separate button to enable bixby.
Every superhero needs sidekicks,and smartphones need smart accessories to make them so smart.Samsung with its S8 series produced its A game with a whole new bunch of accessories Namely:-
- SAMSUNG DEX STATION:-Just like microsoft surface doc Samsung produced its own doc that helps its users to convert their S8 and S8+ into a pc by connecting it to a moniter.
- SAMSUNG GEAR 360:-Samsung launched its new gear 360 camera which is much lighter and compact than its previous model and helps you take images and videos in 360 Degree angle
Samsung is playing its A game with the S8 and the S8 plus creating the most beautiful smartphone ever samsung is tring to fix its image after the Note 7 tragedy.And we can say that it is working S8 will officially hit the indian markets on May but pre-bookings are on Flipkart.All in all the S8 is worthy of being called samsung’s best smartphone so far and will surely be the best of 2017.